A children’s nursery in Elland will be closed for an unknown period of time following a fire. Four engines were called out to deal with the blaze, at around 07:15 on Friday 5th January 2018 at Elland Day Nursery, in Northgate. Fortunately there were no injuries caused by the incident.

Elliot Webster, commander of the Rastrick crew that attended the fire along with crews from Halifax, Cleckheaton and Huddersfield, stated the fire was started following a suspected electrical fault in the wiring of the entrance hall of the two-storey building.

He said: “There was quite a lot of damage to the building and it was heavily smoke logged due to all the doors being left open. The manager saw smoke coming out and we got to grips with it as soon as we could.”

Whereas the ‘fact’ that 80% of businesses fail within 18 months of having a fire has always been tricky to prove, it is true that a large percentage never recover from a fire. Regular PAT testing and fixed wire testing, combined with using qualified electricians for any electrical maintenance required will reduce risk of electrical fires. In the event of a fire, it’s key that any users of the building are able to exit quickly and safely, and emergency lighting is the perfect way to compliment regular fire drills and training.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *